Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevy express 3500, when I put it in drive it makes grinding

Customer Question

Chevy express 3500, when I put it in drive it makes grinding noise so I have to drive with it in 3 and it drives fine except it only goes to 3rd gear obviously so not good for highway. Sometimes I can put it in drive and go a few miles but then it will randomly grind again and I have to drop it into 3rd. Reverse works fine too. Some one told me to check the flexplate could that be an issue?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

this is RWD correct ?

and when it will do this grinding noise it will in drive in 1st gear ? will it move in 1st gear or just grind ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1st 2nd 3rd all work fine its just when I put the shifter to D. Yes it's Rwd with the 5.7 v8.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it only makes this noise when driving in the D range this can not be a flex plate issue as it would do it in any gear and make that noise

the problem here is going to be an internal failure of possibly the one way sprag or reaction carrier or possibly the planetary gear set

100 % with this type of noise only in the D range there is an internal failure and the transmission needs to come out and apart to see which has failed causing this noise i am sorry to say

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I was hoping it was the flexplate cause it sounds like it's grinding the starter gears just like when I had a bad start that kept getting stuck.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it would not just make this noise in drive only if it was a starter or flex plate issue it would make the noise in all the forward gears