Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

When driving my 2004 impala today i had to make a sudden

Customer Question

when driving my 2004 impala today i had to make a sudden stop due to a car in front of me. The car died and will not restart. no security light illuminated as reported in other comments
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you charge the battery or replace it and get the engine to crank over physically and see if the engine will somewhat run on starting fluid or carb cleaner being sprayed down the throttle body butter fly ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i charged the battery and it cranks and cranks and cranks...but still wont start even with starter fluid
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you check and see if you have spark when cranking it over and fuel pressure ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do have spark when cranking it. How do i check the fuel pressure??
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you need to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the fuel rail

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i had a guy (mechanic friend) go check the fuel pressure and according to him thats fine. Were it not for financial reasons i would just have him to fix it......any other suggestions?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

lets see if another expert has any ideas

hang on another expert will reply back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank u very much
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

I will try to assist. I am unsure if what a sudden stop would have done. Lets start with some basics.

I am attaching a picture of a mass air flow sensor. Can you just unplug it and see if it starts?

If it doesnt we will continue with these.

Do you know what fuel pressure was?

Do you have a solid security light on dash?

You stated you have spark. Did you have your friend check for injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I DO NOT have spark...at all. And I DO not have a solid security light on the dash. Its alternating from battery, security, door ajar.I hooked a cheap code reader to it and it said 1 code found....P0443
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told by the same mechanic friend that checked the fuel pressure that it could be the crankshaft position sensor since its not firing
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

the p0443 won't keep it from starting. There is 2 crank sensors and a cam sensor that can keep it from starting. A scan tool is needed for further testing