BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My 2002 SS is bucking while driving. Intermittently loses

Customer Question

My 2002 Monte Carlo SS is bucking while driving. Intermittently loses acceleration. Catalytic converter is good. Replaced resonator. Changed plugs and wires. Issue not resolved. Please help! Thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on when this occurs? Does it occur primarily on take off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check.engine light doescomer on intermittently
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car bucks and spits and sputters while driving mostly. In idle it does it a little.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for a response to my question regarding my vehicle. I have paid the full amount, and have not yet received an answer. The catylitic converter and resonater tested good. All.plugs and wires are good. I can't get over 30mph with my foot to the floor. Rpms will jump, and I will.get a short surge of acceleration, and then I lose it. I've been charged, and now I would appreciate a response. Thank you.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I was unavailable earlier. It sounds to me like the mass air flow sensor is not reading correctly. Have you had the computer scanned for codes when the check engine light is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is throwing a code for the O2 sensor. That's why I thought it was the cat converter, but it's not. Found out a motor mount is broken last night when I picked it up from Cole muffler tho. I'm usually pretty good w vehicles, but I'm on to my third local shop aside from contacting you for help. So could be the MAF intake?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

That is what it sounds like, but being that you had O2 sensor codes it can be low fuel pressure or a fuel filter issue. What I would do it clean out the MAF. If you remove it you can spray it out with MAF cleaner. See if that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just had a third mechanic replace the fuel filter and this still did not resolve the issue. Will look into the MAF to see if this is the cause. Getting frustrated.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Try cleaning it first as that may solve it.