Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Bill I'm an ASE tech and been in the field. Own my own

Customer Question

Hi bill my name is***** an ASE tech and been in the field for years. Own my own service station and have been a GM fan my whole life. Currently have an 09 1500 vortec max 6.0 obvious chirp at idle with no drive belts on. Have already ruled out the common stuff, cracked flex plate. And what not. At first I thought I was over thinking the problem and was fighting a noisy balancer. I feel differently now. Although I have worked on GM'S my whole life and consider myself to be quite knowledgeable on them I haven't had the opportunity to encounter this problem on the newer style afm engines. Questions I have is truck has 99k and some change on it. 2nd or 3rd owner. Will the 100k power train still cover this particular truck. I don't have access to trucks entire history. Came from auction at one point. Do you feel it's probably a cam lobe/lifter noise. Or possibly balancer tricking me. No current codes. Showed a history of an oil pressure code 6k miles ago. Does appear to have newer sensor. Runs pretty smooth. No misfire counters saved. Has a bit of a hitch in it time to time watching it idle but never enough to save any misfire history and doesn't seem to be isolated to only 1 or 2 cylinders. Also appears to still have OE plugs and wires. Just wanted your take on everything. Also is the cam/lifter issue because of subpar castings and materials used or poor engine services and improper oil used. You know as well as me the 5.3 and 6.0 probably some of the best motors out there and I'm trying to figure out how much of this to be expecting in the future and what I can do for my customers to prevent problem if possible. Thanks ahead of time. I read all your previous answers and you seem very knowledgeable. Hope you can give me some guidance
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Have you used a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the source of the noise? Currently I am leaning most towards poor oil maintenance and the noise is a cam bearing making this noise.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ear lobes hurt I have been listening to that thing so long. Running up and down both valve covers and parts of cylinder heads I can access. It does appear a bit louder on right bank around 4 and 6. But the sound resonates so bad it can be a little deceiving. It's what I consider to be a higher pitched chirp mainly at base idle but continue up to 12 to 1400rpm. Above that it disappears. As I mentioned before truck runs quite well no current codes or failure records. My current scan tool is a new snap on versus pro. It allows me to shut the 4 cylinders down but in doing so it brings the rpms up above 1500 so shut down or not the noise goes away. Being a private shop I don't have access to a tech 2 or gm specific scanners. I'm sure that may limit what I can and can't do. Vehicle belongs to a very good customer of mine that will do whatever I say or recommend he does. I just don't want to be wrong and waste anyone's time or money or stain my reputation. Out of curiosity earlier tonight I went ahead and changed oil and filter because I'm not familiar with this truck or its history. Used 5-30 synthetic as always and for good measure added a qt of Lucas addative. I drove truck home tonight from work and when I got home I feel the noise has changed a bit. Same chirp same volume of noise but isn't as consistent as it was earlier today. Even a couple times just idling it quit making any noise all together for 5 or 10 seconds at a time and would come and go a bit. It never did any of that before and I have ran this thing for at least 5hrs idling in the shop prior to servicing it. When it first arrived the chirp was consistent and never changed. Again no obvious misfires or history counts. And still wondered if 100k power train would apply to this truck? Appreciate the help. Need any more info please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be more than happy to rate you when we're done. Give me some good help and I'll give you a great rating

The warranty is out by time, its to old.

Does the chirp speed up with engine rpm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
goes away after about 12 to 1400 rpm

I still think its internal in the engine, but understand your in a pickle not able to pinpoint it better. Though you have ruled out the external things that could be to blame.