Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

2011 Tahoe LT 2WD, 65k miles. While driving, intermittently

Customer Question

2011 Tahoe LT 2WD, 65k miles. While driving, intermittently the dash lights flash repeatedly, it slows to 20 mph, traction control flashes, pushing accelerator does not help... have to unhook battery for 10 minutes to reset truck, then drives as usual for another 300 miles or so.... Have read online it could be the TPS or Throttle body, but some have replaced and have the same condition... Looking for some advice to keep from spending too much at a dealer...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

You have to have the truck scanned for codes, before you unhook the battery. What ever sensor or routine is failing is setting at least a few codes and without that information you will simply be making an expensive guess. Most independent shops have the ability to scan all the modules now so a trip to the dealer is not a requirement, but someone has to scan it. There have been throttle body issues and also wiring, but there really is no one set thing to point you to, in fact the flashing lights may mean it's a cluster problem, all of these systems are interrelated now so there are just too many variables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ted, I've kept a scan tool with me since the last time this occurred so I could read any codes. It did not generate any codes. I scanned it twice and the Tahoe did not generate a code...I thought for sure it would.....
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

What type of tool are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its an Actron 9575, pretty thorough scanner....
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

My suspicion is your issue lies in the ABS/Traction control, which will not necessarily set an engine code. You will need to access a scanner that can see the ABS/Trac module also. It also could be in the body control or instrument cluster, both of which can also be queried with a higher line scanner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have I scanned next time it happens which will be soon... Thanks.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Feel free to return to this thread if you have further questions once you get that done, thanks.