Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2003 Pontiac grand am 3.4 motor won't start or crank has no

Customer Question

2003 Pontiac grand am 3.4 motor won't start or crank has no power to starter do not feel that the relay clicks but another relay and still no click
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

do you have a multi meter or test light on hand ?

can you remove the starter relay and with the ignition key OFF does 1 terminal in the box the relay plugs into show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has 12 volts with key off
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

then when you hold the key to the crank position will another terminal show 12 volts when holding to crank position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just the same one
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok when holding the key to crank position does the fuse called crank show 12 volts on both sides of that fuse testing it in place through the little openings in the tops of that fuse ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok and can you do the same with the fuse called PCM ACC in the left inside fuse box ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has 12 v
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok at this point with the other terminal NOT showing 12 volts when holding the key to crank at the relay terminal in the box that should get power from the fuse PCM ACC

after the power leaves that fuse it goes through the part neutral switch on the transmission then right to that terminal for the relay

can you see if the purple wire and the purple/white at the neutral switch both show 12 volts when you hold the key to crank ?

the park neutral switch is slid on the shaft off the transmission where the shift cable connects

terminal G and E as seen here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
G has power not e
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

great job testing

if the transmission is in park then the problem is the neutral switch is bad as in park and neutral that switch should send the G power out the E wire which the E wire is the wire that goes right to the terminal for the starter relay which is missing the 12 volts

replacing the neutral switch should correct this problem and once 12 volts is restored to that terminal when holding the key to crank the relay should work and start the car up

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

here is the electrical on this system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I checked it on plunged
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it needs to be plugged in

and see if E wire shows 12 volts when holding the key to crank

if it does not the neutral switch is bad

if it does then that purple/white wire is bad between the neutral switch to the under hood fuse box or the terminal under the box or wire is bad under the fuse box OR internally the under hood fuse box is bad internally not completing the path of power from that wire to the relay terminal due to an internal non serviceable circuit board failur

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using a small phone to read this with so the connector don't half to be plugged in because of other connector and can I add 12 votes to the e teminal
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no plug in the neutral connector and see if the E purple/white wire shows 12 volts when holding the key to crank

yes you can unplug the connector and jump E to G and see if the relay will click and work the starter when holding the key to crank for testing purposes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not have power at e and when I jump it still no power at starter
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

when you jump E to G and go in the car and hold the key to crank the starter will not operate ?

when jumped does another terminals for the relay show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one other has power
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok we know right now that the neutral switch is bad

as when plugged in and the car in park it should show 12 volts on the purple and the purple/white

you do NOT have 12 volts on the purple/white when plugged in and holding the key to crank

lets replace the neutral switch so we get 12 at BOTH of those 2 wires and see if it cranks over

with it unplugged i will bet the computer sees it unplugged and will not send its ground signal to work the relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank I will get back to you in the morning
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

you can always get me back through this post for free anytime with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok new switch is in and both wires have power but still no crank rechecked everything you had me do yesterday
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

so now in the box where he relay goes with the key held to crank 2 terminals show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what # ***** is but I do have 2 with power one with key off then another one with key in the crank
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

does another terminal show a good ground when you hold the key to crank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 do but they show ground with key off also
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what is going on with this issue

lets see if another expert can help

hang on another expert will reply back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't opt out no one will help