BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My 98 k1500 will sometimes shift through all gears

Customer Question

my 98 k1500 will sometimes shift through all gears perfectly,and then when you stop seems to take off in second shift to third but no overdrive happens regularly, I have replace neutral safety switch a and b solenoids fluid and filter along with the tps and ignition switch any help is appreciated
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me how the fluid looked in the transmission? Is the check engine light coming on in the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fluid wasn't burnt still looked good wasnt transparent but still red a minimal amount of material on magnet too and no check engine light
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It sounds like you may have an issue with the vehicle speed sensor or a valve body issue. It is very common for the valve body case to warp and at times cause binding in the valves. It is very hard to diagnose. I have also seen a dirty air flow sensor cause this. I would remove and use air flow cleaner to clean out the MAF. If that does not help I would replace the speed sensor before going further into the transmission.