Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

My 98 utilimaster, has been in limp mode years. now it is

Customer Question

my 98 utilimaster, has been in limp mode for 3 years. now it is burning thru cap, rotor plugs, every 3 mounths. cant find any one who nows what is wrong. 1 machanic thinks it is in the wire harness
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

• You have been driving it in limp mode for 3 years?
  • Has anyone removed the PCM and inspected it? These are extremely common for getting corroded badly and is easy to see when removed and inspected. The PCM controls the engine and trans.
  • Have you checked the alternator?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the pcm the brain? if yes we checked it by hooking up a good one. i must of not read directions for this site very good. i have now already been charged $86. i guess i am a member now, does that mean every thing is free now?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Yes pcm is brain