Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevy cavalier 2000 ; Ran out of gas, put one gallon in car

Customer Question

Chevy cavalier 2000 ; Ran out of gas, put one gallon in car sputtered, then died , Cant get car started . My guess is crud in tank is plugging pump. Any easy fix?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

the odds are there is crud in the bottom of the tank or the fuel pump itself has failed

these pumps like to fail more so when run very low on fuel and then when some fuel is added is when they seem to fail more so

when cranking it over can you see if you have any fuel pressure from the fuel pump ?

can you hear the pump running when cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I am going to drop the fuel tank and replace pump. Any tips?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes

just make sure to pop the exhaust out of the rear rubber hangers so the exhaust lays down so it gives you enough room to tip the tank down and out

make sure the top of the tank is clean before you remove the fuel pump module so no debris gets into the tank

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

1. Remove the quick connect fittings at the end of the fuel pipe and vapor pipes.
  2. Remove the muffler support bolts.
  3. Remove the exhaust rubber hangers. Allow exhaust system to rest on rear suspension.
  4. Remove the heat shield.
  5. Remove the hoses at tank from filler, vent, and vapor pipes.
  6. Disconnect the fuel tank electrical connector, at the body pass through connector.
  7. With the aid of an assistant, support fuel tank (1) and disconnect the two fuel tank retaining straps.
  8. With the aid of an assistant, lower the fuel tank.