Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a problem. My key will not open the spare tire lock

Customer Question

I have a problem. My key will not open the spare tire lock on my 2004 Tahoe. I took it into a Chevy dealer and they called me and said they could not open it, but could remove the cylinder. They said it was $535 to order a new one and install it. I told them to just drill out the lock for now. When I picked it up and looked at it when I got home, they had broken out the housing and just left the square hole in the bumper. I went back and they gave me the now worthless unit. Can I order a new housing and lock from somewhere for a reasonable price? Can it be keyed to my ignition key?
Darrell
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you can pick up a new rear lock assembly and the plastic part of the rear lock assembly usually on Ebay

is this part wrecked also as seen in the picture ?