GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Srevice 4wd light is on again in my2006 silverado

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

HI there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please? Did you happen to get the code number that was set for the transfer case system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete..where and what is the possible codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11:30 p.m. here is this going to be long got to go to bed soon.

OK Pete, the codes would be scanned with a scanner, and its the diagnostic trouble code. Where, that is done at the port under the dash. Without the code I can only guess at what the issue is. You said you changed the buttons, replaced the module, so the likely suspect aside for wiring is the sensor in the shift motor under the vehicle on the transfer case. The sensor is not bad to change out with the directions attached, but i would like you to get the truck scanned and confirm code C0327 first before spending the money on the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No..i didn't change the buttons they were fine. Bought module under dash. Then gound out it had to be programmed by dealer, when they programmed it showed transfercase shifting module is bad. I changed it out. Now 4 months later problem is back. So 2 modules r new.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does transfer case take fluid that may be low or needed changed that can set light off

No Pete, if the fluid is simply low it will not set a code. If the fluid is low and it has caused the clutch pack to burn up, that will cause a code. So was the shifting module you talk about on the side of the transfer case? IF so then it still could be the sensor, could be wiring, connections, the buttons, the front axle actuator, grounds, we really need the code number to narrow down the issue so you don't waste more money trying to replace parts that are not needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one on the transfer case. So where can i go to get these codes other than dealership.. because that is what I'm trying to avoid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most places i have went says 4wd. Thats it and that is no help

I understand. Well some parts stores can scan for free. Or you can get a simple code reader like a Bluedriver that is about 1004 and will read ALL system codes from 1995 up to current models using your smart phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya for free but no pin point answer. Dealership has been only one to be exact and i can do that just thought with this problem being so common . Bluedriver? What is1004?

Sorry, blue driver is the device that reads the codes and 1004 should be 100$ from Amazon so you can read the codes yourself. I know this is a pain, computerized systems set the codes and we need those to be able to diagnose and fix the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really there is no answer until i have this code, correct?

That is correct Pete. With that code I can get you all the information, but until then, we are spinning our wheels.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here you help people with instruction to fix their vehicle. I don't need that i just need to know the part to get so i think I'm soory i wasted your time. I didn't know this was inan instructional site, thank you Ken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Cam, i apologize. Cam u have a good day.

I do help with directions, parts to replace. Pete I am a GM technician working part time on Just Answer to help customer such as yourself fix your vehicle, but there are limitations such as what we have here. There are some issues that need no codes, but yours I am sorry to say does need the codes.