GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have 2004 2500 hd silverado I changed the entire ignition

Customer Question

I have 2004 2500 hd silverado I changed the entire ignition switch assembly the truck turns over but will not start I reprogram the remote so it works but the security system light is still flashing I already turned key to on and let sit for 10min to try and get it to reset to no avail it's abviosly not getting fuel because the alarm system won't let it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am cam. It sounds like you need to do a theft system relearn. Can you perform the steps below and tell me what happens after that. If it fixes the problem, that's fantastic. If not, please reply so that we can continue solving your problem.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run. Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span. After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again. It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned. During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I solved the problem and got the truck running yesterday

What was the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was the theft system relearn. I got it done and drove the truck home almost 18 hrs before i got your answer.

Ok. I am not sure how that can be. I posted my answer only 2 minutes after you asked it. Either way, have a good weekend.