Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Why wont my 2006 chevy impala start no crank no start dash

Customer Question

why wont my 2006 chevy impala start no crank no start dash lights come on heater works radio works doorlocks do not work already disconnected battery and reconnected it unplug computer waited 15 min. reconnected it dont know what else to try can you help me
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I need a little more info to help as best as possible.

Did the door lock issue occur at the same time the no crank no start issue occurred?

Was anything done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue at all like anything after market wired in like a remote start or after market security system?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband had car door open while he was buffing my car he thought maybe he ran battery down nothing done recently
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is the security light flashing or staying on on the dash with this issue here when you crank over the engine then when it doesn't start you release the key?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It may say SECURITY or have a picture of a car with a lock across it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stays on
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Try this 30 minute security learn procedure below and see if this then allows the vehicle to start and operate again.Make sure your battery has a good charge in it or that you connect a charger to the battery while doing this testing and if you miss a step you have to start the process over again.If this does not work to start your vehicle let me know.

30-MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the password/code on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

6. Start the engine,If this worked the engine should now start and run.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to try it now lets pray it works thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if this works.It sounds like your security system engaged when the door was left opened for some reason so let me know if this corrects this issue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you do recall me saying he unhooked the battery and put it back up and disconnected the computer then hooked that backup
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I did see that thanks for the reminder.This may have caused the security to engage as well so this relearn may work.Let me know if it does.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the key in the ignition in the on position the only thing I'm seeing is a engine light when I tried to turn on / I seen that security lock
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You have to attempt to start the engine then just let go of the key.If the security light stays on when this is done then continue with the procedure above.If it does not stay on let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not staying on
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this isn't a security related fault here then.Check and make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels in case one shorted with a voltage surge.If this is all o.k. I would try a jump start just to see if the battery is low on amperage and see if it starts.It may have enough voltage in it to power some electrical components but may not have enough amperage in it to start the vehicle.

let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completed the steps 1 through 4 total of 3x still not starting light was staying on a few days ago I'm not sure with everything I've tried have I done something to make it go off
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is the starter engaging at all to turn over the engine but the engine isn't starting or is the starter not engaging at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not engaging at all tried jump starting the starter Spitfire back
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

When you say spit fire back did the engine actually turn over and kick back on you when cranking it over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just spark
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

What sparked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter under the hood
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Oh did you try and jump the starter to start the engine and it sparked is this what happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,did you try a jump start from a second battery or vehicle connected to your battery at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried jump starting it with the battery charger I've only tried starting it with my battery and the battery charger hooked to it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any way to have the fault codes read out at all with a scan tool to check the engine and body computers for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rented OBD 2 Autoscanner scan tool it says no codes found
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is a tough one here for me to answer myself with what is occuring and I apologize for this.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

I have read the back and forth and will see if I can assist

Do you have a test light?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.