BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2005 malibu and I was driving down a ghway, the car

Customer Question

I have a 2005 malibu and I was driving down a highway, the car perfectly fine... i stopped for road work and continued on my way first the check engine light then the abs light then it then wouldn't shift into third or fourth one or the other or both as soon as it got to 40mph the rpms increased dramatically as if it were in neutral as the speed decreased it would joult the whole car back into gear, i parked the car got a new one, but every so often i would use the malibu just to keep it running, maybe to go work out, groceries ext. the other day started it as usual, drove it like 50 feet the engine lights turned off and it ran smoother than silk as if nothing were ever wrong, until 3 trips later, it started up with the same problem... i turned the car off, turned it back on drove a little and repeated 4 times it worked, so question is what exactly needs to be replaced and how much will it cost average, to fix?? everyone else says replace the whole thing, but i beg to differ...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Is the check engine light still on at this time? Is the car starting fine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far the check engine light hasn't turned back on even though the problem has reoccurred, currently running fine.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. It sounds like you have a failure in the ignition switch, or more commonly it is due to a failure in the ignition module located under the coil packs. If it is the module you can replace this for under $100. The ignition switch is a little harder to diagnose and fix. Did you plan on doing this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not, but how does the ignition have anything to do with the transmission? it starts fine for the most part... it does occasionally stutter start but then i press the gas pedal once it fires right up, does this have anything to do with my problem?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

From what I understand from your description of the issue it sounded like the car turns off and has issues starting. If I am wrong can you give me a little more of a description of what is going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2005 Malibu and I was driving down a highway, the car was working perfectly fine... i slowed for road work and continued on my way, but as i was speeding up, first the check engine light then the abs light, it then wouldn't shift into third or fourth gear, one or the other or both,cant tell, but as soon as it got to 40mph, the rpms increased dramatically as if it were in neutral and i was pressing on the gas peddle, as i decreased my speed it would jolt the whole car back into gear, i parked the car but every so often i would drive it a few miles just to keep it running, the other day started it as usual, drove it like 50 feet the engine lights turned off and it shifted smoother than silk as if nothing were ever wrong, until 3 trips later, it started up with the same problem... to try to fix the problem by turning the car off, i turned it back on drove a little and repeated 4 times it began to shift perfectly again after the forth time, so question is what exactly needs to be replaced and how much will it cost average, to fix?? everyone else says replace the whole transmission, but I hope its not necessary.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like you have an issue with the valve body in the transmission. Typically it will get debris built up in it or one of the solenoids will fail and cause this. Since the check engine light came on the first thing I would do is have the computer scanned for codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. Hopefully the computer recorded the codes under history. If you can have this done and bring me any codes it would help. Otherwise the pan needs to be removed from the transmission and the valve body either removed and cleaned or replaced.