Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2005 Silverado v 6 changed engine an mow it won't turn over

Customer Question

2005 Silverado v 6 changed engine an mow it won't turn over starter relay clicks lights come on relay won't click in neutral though jumped pins 30 & 87 and starter turns engine over what next
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the starter relay is clicking then voltage is making it from the battery, fuse, ignition switch and through the neutral switch or clutch switch to the relay. So, if it's all good, then the problem has got to be the relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched the relay and starter was tested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ground wires run from back of block to firewall. Fire wall to hood -frame to steering pump Ecm to frame
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Switched the relay with what?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

My manual doesn't show which pins in the relay are 30 and 87, can you tell me what are? the color of the wires or what fuse powers these pins?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starter relay fuse jumped pins 30 & 87. Which relay are you referring to .
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The starter relay.
I see jumping from pin 30 to 87 is just a straight shot from the battery, through fuse IGN A to the starter solenoid. All that does is confirm all of that is ok, it does nothing to confirm that the starter relay is any good. But you said the relay was clicking so that means at least the other side of the starter relay is getting voltage and ground, so the only thing it could be is a bad relay.
That is why I asked you what you swapped that relay with?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps the starter relay isn't clicking. Can you put your hand on it and turn the key to start or have someone lese turn the key to start and make sure it's the starter relay that is clicking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A new 4 pin relay
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Can you put your hand on it and turn the key to start or have someone lese turn the key to start and make sure it's the starter relay that is clicking?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If it's not, check the fuses IGN E, Crank and IGN B in the under hood fuse block. To make sure, remove that starter relay and test the pins for voltage in the socket. One should be hot all the time, that is the one from the battery and fuse IGN A. Then when you turn the key to start an additional should be hot, that is from the ignition switch, through the neutral/clutch switch and the IGN E and B fuses.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Just to make sure you have the correct relay, here is a diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it again my son felt it click once out of 20 tries with 2 different relays
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

And here is the wiring diagram,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

And hopefully this explains the pin numbers

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

No, actually that last diagram is wrong. I don't have one, sorry. that was for a 2003 Sierra.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checkr
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Once is no good. remove the relay and test again in the socket. First find out which pin in the socket should be hot with the key on start. The second one to be hot, not the one hot all the time, then turn the key to start 20 times. That pin should be hot all 20 times. If not, it's a loose connection or bad ignition switch or bad neutral switch. so move the voltmeter or 12 volt test light back to the next connection and test again 20 times with the key on start. You might even want to check at each of those fuses 20 times in a row with the key on start. Don't forget the crank fuse also.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Checkr? What does that mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all and power on pins
30 12 volts
86 8 volts
87 8 volts
85 0 voltsthese are with key off
Key on start no change
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what pins numbers are for what. I told you that already.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Plus, 8 volts on any of those is wrong.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have the relay removed when checking these voltages? If so, I don't know why you have 8 volts on 2 pins, plus the 12 volts on the pin 30. There should only be 2 pins hot, one hot all the time and then 1 hot with the key on start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well voltage should change turning key on correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relay was removed put wire in pin slot ant tested with volt meter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, voltage to one pin should be zero with key off and then 12 volts with key on start.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is that pinout I sent you earlier correct?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

How many volts do you have at the IGN E fuse with the key off and key on start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
matches mine
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If that's true pins 85 and 87 should never have any voltage when the relay is out, no matter if the key is on or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
04 off 12 volts on start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Only pin 30 should be hot all the time and then pin 86 hot with the key on start and both should be 12 volts, not 8 volts.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I will assume the .04 is an error with the digital meter. I get those kinda readings sometimes, too. I know it's supposed to be 0.00. Anyhow, if that IGN E fuse has 12 volts and there is only 8 at pin 86 with the key on start, then you have a short circuit in that pink or dark green wire. Either before or after the neutral/clutch switch or possibly the switch is bad. By the way, you never did say which it is, an automatic or manual trans?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I still cannot understand how pin 87 could have 8 volts though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's automatic
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Could you double-check that pin 87 with the relay out, key off and key on start. Cause if I has voltage a all with the relay out, then there also appears to be a short circuit with the pcm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
87 does not have power until ignition is turned on
30 is constant
Fuuuued the first time
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

How much voltage does 87 have when the key is on and what is the key on, run or start?

What does "Fuuuued" mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
87 has 0 no matter off run or start. And f Ed up
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Are you testing from a cellphone? Does the spell checker not work or something. Often you are typing things that I cannot understand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pin 87 has zero power with ignition off -on - or start no power no matter what
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that isn't what you said before, "Customer Checked all and power on pins 30 12 volts 86 8 volts 87 8 volts 85 0 volts these are with key off Key on start no change 23 Aug 2015, 11:46 am"

Now correct me if I'm wrong, didn't that say "87 8 volts"?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Plus, I meant texting from a cell phone? I see spell check doesn't always work on my side either.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let's just forget pin 87 then. Pin 86 should have 12 volts.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

With key on start of course. That is probably why it's not working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pad and I turned spell check off now
That's what messed up pin 87. No voltage any key posiotion
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

So, give me the results when you get them of the voltage in and out of the neutral switch, the pink wire in and dark green out with the key on start. Leave the relay out so the engine won't start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink 12 volts
Green 0
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You are doing something wrong then. Was the key on start? And it's dark green not green.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Actually I see those wires can be hot with the key on run also.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Anyhow, didn't you say earlier that pin 86 had 8 volts? That is fed from that dark green wire.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you get zero volts now from the dark green wire, then you are probably not in park or neutral or the switch needs adjusted if there is an adjustment or the switch is bad. Anyhow, you don't have to keep turning the key to start, just run is ok when testing that dark green wire. If it's still zero move the shifter from park to low and back and forth a few times while seeing if at any spot there is voltage on that dark green wire. If so and it's not when the shifter is in park and/or neutral then the neutral switch needs adjusted or is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.6 volts on dark green with key on run
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The neutral switch is bad, replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a shot
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here are the instructions,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Don't forget to rate me well.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I'm going out to work on my car now.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking, since you already know now where the problem might be, why don't you just go ahead and disconnect that neutral switch run a jumper from that pink wire to the dark green and make sure that the starter does work now before purchasing the neutral switch.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Any news?