Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Just looking up some info on a 98 Chev K1500 5.7 vortec.

Customer Question

Just looking up some info on a 98 Chev K1500 5.7 vortec. Showing a P1345 code. It will start and run fine and then you shut it off, it may not start until the next morning.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did it have this code before the new distributor was installed?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is the meaning for that code, Camshaft To Crankshaft Position Correlation Malfunction

and the possible causes:

CMP sensor is loose causing a variation in the sensor signal

• Excessive free play in the timing chain and gear assembly

• Incorrectly installed distributor - 1 tooth off in either advance or retard positions

• Distributor rotor is loose on the distributor shaft, or hold down bolt is loose or missing

• Perform the Camshaft retard offset test procedure

• Ignition module has failed

• TSB 61-65-60A contains a repair procedure for this code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already had that explanation from another search into chevy forum. Not to seem disrespectful to a brother tech, but your answer looks like a carbon copy of just about every printed article I've read so far. Unless you have something else, I believe we're done here.
Thank you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I would have to say since you didn't answer me about whether the code was there before the distributor was installed, I would have to conclude that you didn't want to admit that it could be an "Incorrectly installed distributor - 1 tooth off in either advance or retard positions", so that is my conclusion, that the distributor is installed wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clear up your assumption, the code did exist before the new distributor was installed. I am not that full of myself that I cannot admit to a mistake. The reason I didn't respond was your straight out of a textbook answer to include a TSB number that I actually have a copy of from that forum I told you about.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What do you want me to tell you, something that isn't in the repair manuals. Would you like me to say, "oh yeah, I have done plenty of these and I know just what the problem is, replace the blah blah blah and it will be fixed, I guarantee it".
Now that might sound good but I would be lying just to make a buck or in this case 9 bucks.
I asked you if the code was there before the distributor was installed and then I went looking in the repair manual for possible causes.
Did you check out all of those possible causes?
Don't expect me to tell you exactly what the problem is unless we can communicate back and forth with either some testing, some history and some troubleshooting. If you came here looking for a quick answer I cannot provide that.
technically, in your opening statement you never asked a question, you were simply stating things.
I thought I would jump ahead and try to help you solve your problem.