Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

What's causing gas odor in cab of 2000 Ls Chevy S 10

Customer Question

What's causing gas odor in cab of 2000 Ls Chevy S 10 pickup truck with service engine light on? Recently replaced gas cap with after market new one.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you smell gas under the hood with the hood open ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Smells only in the cab & only when the truck is running
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you only smell the fuel inside the cab of the truck there has to be fuel seeping out just enough under the hood to cause that smell as the fresh air intake in on the top of the firewall area

with the hood open and a flash light inspecting the fuel rail and the fuel injector do any of the injectors have any brown stains on then or the fuel line on the rear of the intake manifold show any signs of a fuel leak and a very small one will smell really bad and usually there will be signs of a leak with a brownish stain visually

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all of those areas & no leaks noted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought an after market gas cap. Could this be causing the smell?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no it usually is not

if you smell it inside the cab especially when driving the fuel leak is firewall forward

if you only smell it in the cab at idle or under the truck towards the rear its usually firewall back

can you smell it while driving ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when driving, it makes my eyes burn
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

there has to be a fuel leak seeping or possible small exhaust leak under the hood causing this issue

it is a matter of finding it

this can even be seeping fuel from a fuel injector or the rear fuel line next to the fire wall seeping

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would you look 1st
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the 4 injectors first for any brown stains and then the rear fuel line on the back of the intake manifold near the firewall

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked for wetness & brown areas where you recommended, none noted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm going to pressure wash the engine compartment tomorrow & see if anything is more noticeable. It's getting too dark to do any more today
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

Do you have any other symptoms? Hard start? Have you had the code checked for the check engine light in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not running funny,acting funny other than the odors in the cab of the truck, No hard starts, have not had the check engine light looked at. . Recently bought it 3 wks ago.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I would have the check engine light looked at first. I suspect you will have an evap code which likely will correct your gas smell problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had check @ Advance Auto & computer said gas cap or vent line block.
I bought an after market gas cap @ the time but the gas odor continued.
How do you check for a vent line blockage
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I suspect it is vent solenoid which is a component of evap system

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Your best bet is to find a repair shop with a smoke machine and have it smoked for a leak

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.