Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. The engine light is on and

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. The engine light is on and the code says P0014 indicating problems with the cam shaft actuator.
My question is if the likely culprit is a sensor or do the actuators go bad. I have heard or read several mechanics tell their customers if it is the actuators themselves,that they woule replace the engine because their is no guarantee how long the new actuators will work. Is a new engine the safest bet?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The actuators do frequently fail on this engine and are fairly easy to replace. The AC delco brand actuators are reasonably priced as well since the same part numbers are used on multiple engine types.

The cause of the actuators failing is often infrequent oil changes. The tiny screen and oil passages inside the actuators get plugged and it can no longer perform as designed with restricted oil flow. I would change them, and change the oil at the same time to ensure there is no more debris floating around to plug them up again. Next, reset the computer and you should be good to go.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

On a side note, the p0014 is the code for the exhaust cam actuator, so if you are really pinching pennies you could change just the exhaust cam actuator, but I would change them both at the same time. If you only change the one, the other is likely going to fail soon anyways.