GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2006 Silverado 4x4. I am in the process of changing

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Silverado 4x4. I am in the process of changing out the transfer case actuator. It says to make sure that your transfer case is in Neutral because the new part ships in the neutral position. Only problem is that my new part appears to be in the 4 low position. It won't line up with the input shaft. And my truck won't recognize it when I plug it in I assume because the transfer case is in neutral and the actuator is in 4 low. Suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

can you turn the shaft the actuator goes onto to the low position by hand ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I've tried. I can get from neutral to one position clockwise and one position counter clockwise
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if you can not align it by hand to the new motor position then you will need to plug in the new motor and hold it up against the shaft while applying pressure and have some one turn the key ON and shift the push button while your pushing on the motor and it should turn enough when pushing on it to drop on the splines

once that is done then you should be able to bolt it up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't even recognize the new motor is plugged in. When I plug it in the dash switch goes through its self test series of lights then all lights are off and it says service 4wd. I'm assuming because the computer shows the transfer case in one position and the actuator in another
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no that should show a position no matter what if plugged into the new motor

is the inside fuse box is the 4WD fuse good ? if the under hood fuse box is the fuse called TREC good ?

may i ask why the motor is being changed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was having issues where I would start the truck and it would be in 4wd. Also while driving the truck would slip into neutral. When I would push the 4h button it would re engage and then allow me to switch right back to 2h leading me to believe it was a transfer case neutral not a transmission neutral. After some research I found the transfer case position sensor has been an issue. I called the dealer who confirmed this because they keep both the sensor and the actuator in stock and sell quite a few. I went ahead and just got a new actuator to kill two birds with one stone as it includes the new sensor
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you be sure both of those fuses are good ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you plug in the old motor will it show a position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are the fuses located.
I am assuming they are since the switch lights up during the self test. And no when the motor is plugged in no lights on the switch are illuminated at all
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the inside drivers side fuse box the fuse called 4WD and in the under hood fuse box the fuse called TREC

will the OLD motor when plugged in show a position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did for a while until I disconnected the battery in hopes it would recognize the new motor. Checking fuses now
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if the 2 fuses are good with the new or the OLD motor plugged in neither will show a position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both fuses are fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old one showed a position until I unplugged the neg terminal
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you leave the new one plugged in and disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the 2 battery cables together for 2 minutes then reconnect the battery cables will it show a position ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worth a shot
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

at this point it is acting like the 4WD module is not responding correctly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this battery cable wizardry help with that possibly?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it might reset the programming in the module yes and see if we show a position

if it still will not we will have to see what code or codes are set in the 4WD module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think my cheap code reader will read them or does it require a high dollar one?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you need the higher end scan tool for 4WD codes

try the battery thing

if it still will not show a position at all then a scan tool would need to be plugged in and read the 4WD codes

when a switch will not show a position either the module is not seeing a position or the module itself is possibly causing this issue or a rare switch issue

knowing the codes set would lead us to the problem area but a lot of those 4WD codes need to be diagnosed with a scan tool to see live 4WD computer data

the grounds have to be good at the switch is working and the switch uses the same grounds as the motor and module use

but it depends on the codes set

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found it odd that when I plugged in the new motor I got nothing. But when I immediately plugged in the old one it showed a position
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

i agree with you on that

it is like the new motor is acting defective

and if it is a code or codes set would tell us if there is a case motor issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let you know what the battery thing does
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Same deal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any tricks to getting the case into 4low manually?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

just by hand

but the new motor when plugged in should show some kind of position

lets see if another expert has any ideas

hang on another expert will reply back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Question, where did you source the new motor from?

For codes, I have found a device that reads all codes, its a blue driver, its about 100$ and works with your smart phone. You can get them on amazon.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gm dealer in Sanford. It's an acdelco

Strange. I am wondering if you have a faulty actuator then. Knowing codes would help. I don't suppose you want to take apart the old one to get the sensor out and split the sensor to see if the surface is and, and if it is, you can replace just that sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old actuator is not recognized either now. I did think about doing that. Also thought about manually swritching the transfer case into 4 low but then I would still be stuck with a motor that is not recognized

Ok, lets split the sensor. Attached are replacement directions for the sensor. You can easily get to it and if the old sensor is not the sealed type, open it up to have a look.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would we split the sensor?

Its a common issue on these sensors. One half is a resistive material and the other has fingers that slide over it. These are notorious for failing internally, the fingers breaking off or scratching the material off and causing issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cam I'm not sure how splitting the sensor would help. I have two motors that when plugged up do not show a position on the switch

Without codes from the system or live data, we are grasping at what to do. Computerized systems are a pain that way. The sensors are common for failing and I was hoping that your new motor is faulty but the only sensor is shot in your old one and we can take back the motor and get just the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?

I am here,

But I get the sense I may not be able to help you as you don't have the codes from the system, I will open this up to other experts.