Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 1995 Tahoe with a 5.7 liter tbi. When I shift from

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Tahoe with a 5.7 liter tbi. When I shift from park to drive or park to reverse the truck puffs out white-blue smoke for a minute then doesn't do it again. Until it is parked and idling again and then shifted back into gear. This wouldn't be a big deal but I am trying to get it to pass emissions in Colorado and it is reading high hc on the test. Please help. I have replaced almost all the emissions sensors on the Tahoe and replace spark plugs wires rotor and cap.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

how many miles is on the truck?

how much oil does the engine use?how much and when do you need to add?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 184,000 miles on the truck. It doesn't seem to be using any oil that I can see. I haven't had to add any since last oil change. I just pulled all plugs and checked them they look good. But hole 2 and 8 are worse then the rest. I replaced all plugs and wires today. I numbers the old ones that have only been in for 3 weeks. They don't look that bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have recently sea foamed the tbi and ran a bottle of guareteed to pass in the last tank of gas. This seems to make the hc level go up. The co2 and the nox are fine and are passing levels.

sorry i missed you,,does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only one light and its abs light the code says the brake light is staying on.

do you ever need to add coolant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

ok,,

i can give you my thougts here

but,i dont think you will like it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking it's the umbrella seals or something like that.

sense you arent getting an engine light or trouble code..but,the engine does puff smoke at times.

the smoke must be cumming from somewhere,,sense you never need to add coolant.we know this is oil

it could be either the vlave stem seals or the piston rings itself

fact is,,the engine may have plenty of life left but,it may not be good enough to pass your tough emission standards

i would think the engine will need to be replaced or rebuilt..

you could try the valve stem seals..

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.