Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2002 s10, 2.2 was running and died. engine will turn over

Customer Question

2002 s10, 2.2 was running and died. engine will turn over but not start. replaced, plugs/wires/fuel pump/fuel filter/crank sensor, but nothing changed. still wont start. please help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

with the key ON is the check engine light lit up in the dash ? do you have spark at the spark plugs when cranking it over ?

will the engine somewhat run if you spray in some starting fluid or carb cleaner down the throttle body ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no check engine light. tried starting fluid,no change. have spark to plugs, fuel pressure is 55 psi
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

there is NO check engine light lit up in the dash with the key ON ?

any codes set at all ? can you communicate with the computer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can not use scanner no check engine light, but all other lights, air bag, seat belt,oil,etc. light up with key on. running good when shut down,lost all power,like turning key off.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

with the key ON does the fuses called ECMB and ECM1 both show 12 volts on both sides of both fuses testing the fuses in place through the little openings in the tops of those fuses ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all fuses are good (checked with light) don't know amps through fuses
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

just make sure they both show 12 volts

if they do you need to check ground G103 and G105 as seen in this picture the G103 is right above the oil filter on the block

you have to be sure those grounds are all clean and tight and not broken at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if all is ok here, what?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if all that checks out either the computer is bad or the connections at the computer are bad but to be sure you would need to unplug the computer connector the BLUE colored connector then turn the key ON and see if pin terminal # ***** and # ***** shows 12 volts with the key ON if they do then check pin terminals # ***** and # ***** for good grounds

if that checks out on the OTHER computer connector check pin terminal # ***** for a good ground

if ALL of those check out with the key ON then the computer is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its still a guessing game.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

who is guessing ?

if you do those tests i said too there is not a guessing game at all that is how you diagnose this issue to see what is wrong without throwing parts at it

with the key ON and the check engine light is NOT lit up in the dash the computer is dead

do to it being bad itself or it missing a power or ground at it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary, this is my sons truck, and noticed he had tape over "check engine light" so it is on . but, don't have all the tools to check volt etc. Im just a "shade tree mechanic" that's why I spent money to have you tell me whats wrong. I know you don't have a crystal ball but according to your website you guys are experts and will be able to tell me why the truck wont start. I have tried everything you said (again without top notch mechanic tools) but nothing changes.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if the check engine light is on the computer is working

so we can scrap the computer being the issue right now

we are experts here but we have to find the cause of the engine not running

this engine needs spark and fuel and compression to run

you have confirmed spark

unplug any fuel injector connector you can get to and connect the test light clip with a wire or paper clip and stick it into one terminal in the connector you unplugged then touch the test light tip into the other terminal in the connector

when cranking it over does the test light bulb blink ?

if it does and it will NOT run even a little with starting fluid or carb cleaner being sprayed down the throttle body butter fly then remove all 4 plugs and see what the compression is in all 4 cylinders

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I check compression? and also how do I check timing? have coil packs.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the timing is non adjustable

you need a compression gauge tester to test compression

if it has spark and fuel then we need to see if possibly the timing chain has broken or jumped causing low or no compression

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I know if its timing? engine turns over what seems to be regular timing, not real fast like I most engines do (that I know of) when out of time
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

we just have to see which one of the 3 we area missing

spark or fuel or compression

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't have any way to check compression. how do I check timing?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

pulling the timing cover and checking the timing chain marks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I do that? and what am I looking for?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

lets see if another expert can help

hang on another expert will reply back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope so. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just spent $28.00 to learn nothing I already new. I though "experts" knew how to fix your problem on a GM vehicle. why do the "experts" think I have every tool known to man to fix any problem? I don't have tools to run a compression test, I cant check injectors, timing, etc. I will buy the tools if an "expert" can tell me what to buy. I can somewhat hold my own when it comes to diagnosis an engine, but when I cant.. that is why I called you guys. very disappointed.