Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado with the 4.8l vortec and 4L60e

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado with the 4.8l vortec and 4L60e transmission, 4x4. The transmission only has 16,000 miles on a rebuild with a trans star shift kit and new torque converter.
A few days ago while coming home I gunned the throttle a little and the truck slipped and would not engage passing gear. Well over the next few days I was feeling a bouncing feeling I believe.
Today I was driving it and it took off from work just fine while it was cold. Drove 5 miles no issues. Headed down a highway getting up to 55mph I felt a sudden jolt and lost most forward movement. I can rev the engine up to about 5000 rpm and get the truck to gradually speed up to 15-20 mph after almost flooring it. Limped the truck home and pulled the tranny pan. The fluid is a dark brown color and runny like water. I believe it may be burnt smelling also?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should mention that yesterday I gunned the throttle again and it downshifted just fine. Also when I can get it to move its like its starting in 3 or 4 gear.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

i rebuild these transmissions every day

i wish i had good news for you,but,there is no need for me to give you false hope

sorry,but the transmission will need to be rebuild or replaced again,,sorry

i would think the 3-4 clutches are burnt out

there is nothing you can do for the transmission from the outside

again,sorry

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This seems a bit far fetched as the only symptom it may have showed was not downshifting at wide open throttle 2 times. As I said it down shifted fine the next day. The tranny did not slip or anything any other times. Then all of a sudden loss of movement in all gears unless I'm flooring it then it will get up going.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the 3-4 clutches burnt out wouldn't I still have reverse and 1-2 no problem?

hi

it isnt far fetched at all

does it not have reverse either?

still yet,,the transmission will need to come out,,this problem is internal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will reverse as long as I'm flooring the gas then it will go slowly same as when in drive or no matter where I put the shifter.

you are loosing fluid pressure internally,,yes,i think the 3-4's are burnt out

ok,,this tells us it is slipping,,there is no way to fix a slipping transmission from the outside,,sorry,,there is no easy button here,,im just being honest

perhaps the transmission is still under warranty from the last rebuild

this is not an electrical problem

it isnt a sensor or solenoid,,it is internal

i am 99.99% sure of my answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok assuming you're correct will a 98 4l60e transmission bolt up

yes,,the 98 is the same transmission

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please verify that a 1998 4l60e from a truck with a 5.7 will bolt up to a 99 with a 4.8

yes,,the transmission is the same,you may need to use your bellhousing from the 4.8,,but,yes it is the same

the 98 4l60e is the same as the 99 4l60e.

thanks