George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I recently bought a 1981 corvette runs great body's in great

Customer Question

Hello I recently bought a 1981 corvette runs great body's in great shape for the year, but last couple times I've tried to start it it won't crank I hear a tick tick tick is that the starter? The clutch is engaged and I gave full power the tick tick sound seems to be coming from the fuse panel could it be a fuse as well? Thanks Andy my email is***@******.***
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
It is likely that the battery cable connection points are corroded. With so little metal in the body they are critical in getting the high current from the battery to the starter.
The negative connection is down under where the battery sits then there is another from the frame to the engine up front.
Disassemble the connections, clean til shiny and reconnect then spread terminal paste or grease over the cleaned area to prevent further corrosion. If the cables have been fitted with bolt on repair ends those need to be replaced.
Your issue is in the cables and connections, get those cleaned up and it should crank normally.
Please let me know how I can help you with this
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ill do that
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Great, please let me know what happens once you get the cables cleaned up, if this has the side terminals pull the end off the battery and remove the bolt from the cable end and slip the rubber boot back. If you see corrosion down in the cable replace it.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you