GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a '98 Chevy C1500 truck...single headlight. I can't

Customer Question

I have a '98 Chevy C1500 truck...single headlight. I can't get the driver side aimed correctly...it's pointed way too far to the left. As this is an old truck which I bought used my susp[icion is that something in the headlight asembley may be missing, possibly the spring??? I can buy a new assembly, spring, adjusting screw, etc from LMC fairly cheaply, but wonder where I might get a set of instructions to install that assembly without trying to find a shop that would do such a small job...I have to think this might be something that I could handle. Thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An illustrated diagram would be ideal.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Look over the diagrams below, is that what you needed?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...sorry to say this isn't really what I need...possibly because I wasn't clear enough initially. The diagrams you sent are for removal/installation of a headlight and getting a headlight aimed correctly. My problem seems to be that on the driver side the headlight is aimed way too far to the right. As stated, I cannot use the adjustment screw to bring it far enough to the right to have it aimed "straight down the road." My suspicion is the headlight assembly bracket is "wanked out" far enough that the adjustment screw can't compensate. My best guess that I really need instruction on how to remove and possibly replace the headlight assembly bracket (the bracket the actual headlight mounts in). Having something like that before I attempt to remove the headlight assembly seems prudent. I do have an after market shop manual for the C1500, but it doesn't go into detail concerning removal and re-installation of the assembly bracket. It has the same info you've provided. Again, this is for a single headlight, not the double stacked headlights, for a '98 Chevy C1500. Thanks

I will get you back on the list for another to try, those are the only diagrams I have.

Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am CAm. Are you still needing help with this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope...decided I didn't want to wait any longer so against my better judgement I decided to took it apart myself. I found a broken retaining spring in the bracket assembly which I replaced. That straightened up the assembly and allowed the light to be aimed properly. I thought getting help on line would be a good idea...cost me 28 bucks to find out in this particular instance I was wrong...but it's always a good day when you learn something. Thanks anyway.

Sorry you had that experience.