Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Just did a rebuild on a 2000 chevy 350 vortec with help (he

Customer Question

just did a rebuild on a 2000 chevy 350 vortec with help (he is not available this wee) - power to coil but not out of the coil or plug wires, replaced coil still same got p0336 code checked wiring harness for chaffed wires, none were found - replaced crank sensor still no fire same codes - have not done sensor relearn
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Hello and good afternoon,
Thank you for requesting me and allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
On the coil you would have 12v positive on the pos/+ side and a ground pulse on the neg side (test light), The code you provided of p0336 related to a problem with the crankshaft position sensor.
The most common problem is going to be the sensor itself or the ring.
Potential causes of a P0336 code include: Bad crank sensor Broken reluctor ring (missing teeth, debris lodged in ring) Reluctor ring dislodged/stripped from it's stationary location Wiring harness chafing causing short Wiring open in sensor circuit.
You can also tell this by cranking the engine and when this is a problem the tach usually will not bounce when cranking like it normally would (can also diagnose better via a scan tool).
Also check battery via a load test to ensure it is good as it could also cause the problem.
You have no spark because of the ckp problem.
Next move on to checking the reluctor ring, teeth can be damaged/missing, dirt/debris lodged, ring loose, etc.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.