Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 08 5spd Aveo with AC. I had a cut on my top coolant

Customer Question

hi i have a 08 5spd Aveo with AC. I had a cut on my top coolant hose and replaced it. The coolant ran dry before I could get somewhere and let it cool down. Upon inspection the next morning I found the cut and replaced the hose. I only refilled the system with water. Should I flush it and refill it with 50/50 coolant? An how can I tell if running the coolant dry damaged my engine?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what are your outside temps where you are? did engine overheat and if so, how long , how high? is engine running smooth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Central Kansas has been in the 80-90s the last two weeks. It did over heat, with the temp gauge pegged at High and steam was coming out under the hood. It was night and I pulled off the highway and looked at the engine but couldn't see anything. I only had 6 miles to go so I turned on the heater on high and drove slowly to my destination, maybe 10-15 min. Everything sounds ok to me, no pinging or knocking. but I am no export.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, hard to say, I doubt engine damage per your description, Todays engines can take a good bit, Filed with water, runs ok, no smoke, runs smooth is a VERY good indicator engine is likley just fine, Missing? then possible headgasket blew when overheated.So, 2 choices. you can leave plain water in it as long as temps outside remain high, Coolant does help cool a bit, hard to explain better than water so, for short term? water is 100% fine especially as you are driving to see if any engine issues, Which I doubt, Once confirmed engine is ok? I highly recommend getting coolant in the engine, NOT just water, Coolant also aids in preventing corrosion, rust and so on, water does not. water is short term only

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok to wait on the flush for a week?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

absolutely. NO harm done and do suggest doing that, Wait and be sure all is ok, just keep in mind coolant does a little more than just keep from freezing, Hope this makes sense