Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Bob, I just installed a new crate 350 engine in a 58

Customer Question

Bob, I just installed a new crate 350 engine in a 58 corvette. It replaced a 69 350 that was in the car. Temp guage on the vette has a 180 mid temp point. It took me 3 electric fans to keep the old engine at 180 when at idel. Put in a new exhaust system to run the pipe out the rear tail as the original design and temp goes well over 180 on both the old and new engine even with all 3 fans running. Have a 180 star in the car, new water pump and, radiator. Temp climbs up almost the peak of the temp gauge (between 200 and 220 which is as high as the original gauge goes) is the old gauge midpoint of 180 just not normal for the engine or is that a problem I'm missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What does this mean, " Have a 180 star in the car"?

What temperature is the thermostat rated at?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is this crate engine fuel injected or carbureted?

Do you have a mechanical belt driven cooling fan or are you still using electric fans? Is this an automatic transmission with the cooler inside the radiator?

Do you have or have you considered adding an extra transmission cooler?

Is this a distributor engine and if so, how is the ignition timing? Timing too far retarded may cause overheating.

I thought Corvette engines were supposed to run hot and have 195 degree thermostats and not turn on cooling fans until like 232 degrees.

Perhaps you should stick a kitchen thermometer down into the radiator and see what the real temperature is, then maybe getting a more recent temperature gauge that goes up to say 250 degrees f.