Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Intermittant battery drain 2000 suburban. always overnight.

Customer Question

intermittant battery drain 2000 suburban. always overnight. yesterday ran around fine, this morning 5amp. unplugged radio before, trailer lights , pulled fuses to defogger. concurrently, recently replaced blinker lights-same blinker light went out within the week of replacement (don't know if that's related)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Have you narrowed down the short to a particular fuse yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. it is intermittent. we have tested the fuses. We do have a blinker that we continually replace and at least once since it was out, it worked intermittently for a short period of time
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what you mean by testing the fuses, but that isn't the way to narrow it down. You have to hookup and ammeter to the disconnected negative battery terminal and get a reading. If the reading is over 50mA then that will drain the battery. You may have to wiggle wires, etc or just wait until the battery drain is there, cause there is really no way to test without it being there. Then once the battery draw/drain is over 50mA, start removing the fuses one at a time looking at the ammeter after pulling each fuse until the battery draw/drain drops below 50mA, then get a wiring diagram of that fuse's circuit and hook the battery back up and see if anything on that circuit don't work. If something don't work, then use a voltmeter and find out where it has voltage and then suddenly looses voltage and right there between that spot and the last spot you tested should be the short, so inspect the wiring or whatever for a short to ground or shorted circuit to another circuit and repair it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Once you narrow it down to what fuse, let me know and I'll upload the wiring diagram.