GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have the same issue, we have fuel pressure 57 psi, we have

Customer Question

I have the same issue, we have fuel pressure 57 psi , we have nice blue spark , we have compression in each cylinder. We replaced the distributor and the pick up checked the timing at least 4 times , took it to another shop and they did all of the checks we did as well, the determined it was injectors. Replaced inj. and still no start. When it turns over it seem to try but will not. any ideas
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

so this engine will physically crank over and not fire up ?

will the engine run on starting fluid ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it will not
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

compression is over 125 on all 6 cylinders and you are 100 % sure the distributor is up on TDC correctly ?

if so did this problem happen out of the blue one day where it just didnt start one morning or where you driving it and it shut off on you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is my nieces car she was driving it and it started to run like crap , shaking ,coughing etc. She had it towed to my shop and we started it and it ran like she said barley made it into the shop. We noticed it was almost out of gas (typical for her) we put gas in it , still barely ran , checked the cap and rotor and found the distributor bushing/bearing was gone and the distributor was wobbeling around under the cap so much it almost cut off the top of the cap. We replaced the distributor , checked timing myself 3 times, tried it 180 degrees out and back to tdc , we have spark , we have good fuel pressure and we do have 128 to 130 psi on all cylinders. Had 2 other mechanics in the shop look at it (fresh eyes) they too checked timing multiple times still nothing. Took it to a car shop ( we mostly work on big diesel trucks and equipment) and he too checked the timing 3 times, he thought it was injectors he replaced them still will not fire. He checked to see if the pick up was in time (maybe distributor was assembled wrong at factory) and he gives up can not figure it out. He thought maybe head gaskets but if it has compression , fuel and air it should at least run
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Double-check the firing order.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It should be clockwise 165432

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked it twice , my guy in the shop traced them all back as well, the car shop we took it too also double checked
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you check it twice or did you have someone else check it twice?

The only thing left is, how are you finding tdc of the #1 piston? If you are relying on the mark on the damper, perhaps the damper slipped and the mark is wrong. I would suggest you double-check that. remove the #1 spark plug and stick a plastic coffee stirrer into the hole and feel for the top of the piston as you turn the crank by hand. Feel as the piston comes up, pauses then begins to go back down. now, go back exactly 1/2 way in between that pause. That is true tdc. Now, look at the mark. Is it on zero? If not, make your own mark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked it twice and yes with a straw in the plug hole it is at top dead center i checked it my guy checked it and the guy at the car shop checked it manually and the ***** *****nes up , the rotor point directly at number 1 on the cap and the wires are right as well
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, next check for a spark from each individual spark plug wire. About the only thing left is the spark plugs. What are they gapped at, did they smell like gasoline the one time you had them out? Did you put new spark plugs in? Do you still have the old spark plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced all of the plugs, and wires they all have spark checked them individually we replaced the plugs gapped at 35 did not change we tried 45 still nothing , the plugs were a bit wet when they come out , when we replaced the injectors and tried the plugs again they were not wet possibly not enough atomization from the old injectors but still no start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Well, you have me stumped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that makes 8 of us
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, New expert here. I have a question, the crank sensor, did you replace or check it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry have been working out on site for the last few weeks, back to the nightmare the crank sensor has been changed. I have been thinking more and more the sh** box ran (barley ) before we replaced the distributor and at least 6 people have checked the timing by piston at tdc check rotor position and it has not run since. Maybe we got a bad distributor. We changed it because the bushing was so warn it was cutting the top of the cap off.We did try putting it back in with no change but it could be just too far gone to work. I think i will get another distributor from Napa tomorrow. Unless you have another thought