Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Ac only gets to 68 degrees on 97 Tahoe. single air not dual

Customer Question

ac only gets to 68 degrees on 97 Tahoe. single air not dual air.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

can you tell me what has been so far to correct this issue ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at first when I charged it the temp was just like this. but I added pag oil to the system via the ac gauge manifold using the inline injector I have. I forgot to purge the line out of air. so discharged the Freon. changed out the drier again. pulled a charge. and bam it was 47 degrees at drier. and putting out 44 45 out the vents. now the ambient was around 85 or so.
next day drove around and air was just not making it. so did the performance test and got the readings I described.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my other truck I replaced components a while back and it is doing great. getting 43 to 40 out of vents on a 95 ambient temp day gong down the road.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

will it be colder at higher speeds and warm at idle ?

do you know what the low and high sides are reading with the compressor on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no does not get better on highway. stays about the same
pressure at idle on high was 220 250
low side was 45with idle sped up to 1800
high pressure was 250 to 265
low side was 30 to 33
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
added some Freon to see if that would make a difference. because I noticed that right before the compressor ice forming on the suction line. and the pressure was below 30. so added Freon until the pressure went back up to above 30 stopped at 40. and high side was 250ish. this with the clutch fan engaged and also with a 12 inch pusher fan on the condenser. thought that would do it. but temp still the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost like the system has air in it or something . everything looks great on readings.. except it just is not cold. just cool.
temp before the condenser was 95
temp at vent outlet with doors closed, recycle on, blower on high. was 75.the outlet temp of the drier at firewall before going to evap is 65 is
outlet of drier going to the compressor also 65.so the load there is good. supposed to be 0 to 5 degrees.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

those are good enough pressures to have a cold ac

is the temp door moving full cold and full hot ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
temp door actuator is new. blend door actuator is new. mode door actuator is good. and watching them under the dash all of them move. if I switch to heat it gets hot. switch back to cold and just cool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if the temp door was not working correctly though,, I should be cold at the drier right? I can understand it not being cold inside if the door was not working. .but the compressor is working oh.. the performance test on the condenser was really good. too. inlet temp to condenser was 130 outlet of condenser was 98
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you pull down the system and replace the orifice tube and then pull a vacuum on it for 15 minutes until its @ 30 inch vacuum then fill it back up to spec ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the door was the issue, shouldn't I still be cold at the drier. this is why I am baffled. I am not at 40 something at the drier. if I am not at 40 something there, I will never be that on the vents. being that I am 62 to 64 I can see why I am 68 to 71 at the vents. it does not have the heat removing properties being that warm already going in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the orifice tube is new also.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

lets see in another expert has any ideas

hang on another expert will reply back to you

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you added the oil back to the system how many ounces was it? Also can you tell me the current outside air temp and high and low side pressures?

I'm thinking you may have too much oil in the system. This will cause pressures to read higher when there is actually not enough refrigerent in the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i added 2 ounces of oil via inline injection tool attached to the ac manifold. I thought the same thing on the oil. so I removed the drier and replaced with another one thinking it might have soaked the desicant. . looking at it again today the outside temp was 81 to 84 becausae I was overcast and fixing to rain.
at idle
high side 165
low side 44
temp into drier 62
outlet of drier 62
inlet to condenser 130
outlet of condenser 95at 2000rpm
high side 260
low side 38
at 2000rpm with clutch fan engaged
high side 205
low side 31
outlet of vent temps are 61 to 64 never cooling more than 61
blend door is not an issue. verified it was working. even blocked off the heater hoses to heater core for the duration of the readings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all components that were changed
evap core. condenser with new orifice tube. ac compressor was just changed before I got vehicle, along with new suction hose. instead of putting 1 oz of oil in evap, drier, and cond. I just pulled vacuum and started oil injection (2 oz) total with the charging of the refrigerant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pag 46 oil was used
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh. and a new drier was installed the first time too. before I removed the refrigerant and put another new one on.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** Gary, I'm also at a loss here. Let me open this back up to other experts and let's see if a fresh look from another can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

I have read the responses and may be able to help. Do you have the ability to put the system in a vacuum for 30 minutes or longer? I suspect you have excessive air or moisture in the system and a good evacuation and vacuum may do the trick.

Expert:  sarah-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/99dpi-chevy-tahoe-ac-gets-68-degrees-97-tahoe-single.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.