Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

I have a 1998 chevy k 2500 5.7. The engine stopped and will

Customer Question

I have a 1998 chevy k 2500 5.7 . The engine stopped and will not crank, the starter does engage and it makes a thunk . I can turn the engine by hand about 1/8 turn back,when I turn it forward about 1/8 turn it makes a thunk and will not turn any more . I toke the valve covers off thinking it may have dropped a valve but they are all connected . Any idea ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. First impression is you have a rod that broke , is there any dents in the oil pan the come outward ? Any signs of oil leaks near the oil pan that look really fresh ? I'll also send a offer over for phone chat if interested. Totally up to you. Lou
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

If you see no valves dropped then it's definitely lower end UNLESS the torque converter or front trans pump has a issue. There are ways to figure out which. I would pull spark plugs and also see if any electrodes are smashed down. That would tell you a lot