Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 19971500 144k mi suburban. I'm the third owner, it

Customer Question

I have a 1997*****1500 144k mi suburban. I'm the third owner, it been a reliable truck. The electric fuel pump has always been very audible. I'm driving the it stumbles and then stalls after taking off from a light. I coast to the side of road wait for a moment attempt to restart, starts up and almost immediately stumbles and stalls, like it was out of gas. Have plenty of gas check and listen for fuel pump can't hear anything. Assume fuel pump has packed it up. Pull fuel tank and pump, hook fuel pump directly to power source, nothing. Install new fuel pump,motor won't start, then realize s. valve on supply line to injector on manifold, thought maybe it needed to be purged. I did, it did have air purged it solid fuel came out. I don't have fuel pressure gauge. It still won't start. Sprayed starting fluid into throttle body, started immediately, ran until it was used up. Changed fuel pump relay also (in fuse box), can hear fuel pump when turn fuel pump come on, there is fuel
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

right off the bat we have to test 2 things

we have to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the fuel rail and we have to know what the fuel pressure is key ON engine off and if the psi will hold for a few seconds

if the fuel pressure is below 60 PSI we need to unplug the fuel pump electrical connector and we need to see if when cranking it over the grey wire is 12 volts and that the big black wire is a good ground

if this will run when adding fuel we have a fuel pressure issue still or the injectors are not sending in fuel