Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 1990 5P 30 chassis, 454 engine, Winnebago Vectra

Customer Question

I have a 1990 5P 30 chassis, 454 engine, Winnebago Vectra motorhome. When my speed gets up to about 55 miles an hour I start feeling this vibration similar to a rubbing sound and vibration. When I get to approximately 60 Miles per hour and I accelerate and back off on the Excelerator the rubbing/vibration sound coincides with pushing on the Excelerator. Sometimes I also hear what sounds like a metal on metal sound. I was thinking perhaps this could be a driveshaft issue is but I have no idea. What do you suggest?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Check the u-joints on the driveshaft and while you are down there look to see if there any clean spots on the driveshaft where weights may have been and flew off. If so, remove the driveshaft and take it to a driveshaft shop and have them balance it. To check the u-joints, you can use a screwdriver or prybar and stick it in the u-joint and pry and look for movement. usually though when they go bad you hear and clang when shifting from reverse to drive or drive to reverse.

If the driveshaft checks out or even before that, if you haven't had the tires balanced, I would do that.