Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My wife is stuck out of town in our 99 suburban The security

Customer Question

My wife is stuck out of town in our 99 suburban The security light is on and the vehicle won't start. any suggestions
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

which security light is on in the dash the theft/security light ?

the stock security system ? or aftermarket ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of the standard lights come on when she tries to start. Everything is stock on the vehicle
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok we have to see if this in fact a security system issue or not

will the engine physically crank over and not fire up ? or the engine will NOT physically crank over at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to reset the security system so it will start
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine will not crank what can I do to reset the security system
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you

if the engine will NOT crank over this is NOT a stock security system problem

the security system will only shut off the fuel injectors but the engine should always crank over no matter what

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

this issue will come down to a battery issue or battery cable connection issues or the starter itself causing this issue

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

you need to see if it will start with a jump start next

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a battery issue or a cable issue. I just had all of them replaced. It acts like the key has lost its memory on the chip
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the key readings would only shut off the fuel injectors and NOT cause the engine to not physically crank over

if the battery and cables are clean and tight then the starter is bad or the starter relay is not being told to work which could be a park / neutral switch or ignition switch failure

some tests need to be done next to see which one is the issue

but there is nothing to reset on this truck for it to magically start up there is a failure of the starter or the starter being told to operate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just tried to jump it and still nothing
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok the starter needs to be tested and see if the small purple wire at the starter solenoid shows 12 volts on it when holding the key to CRANK if it does and the big power wire at the starter show 12 volts and the BIG ground from the negative battery cable is clean and tight at the front lower of the engine block by the balancer on the lower of the engine block then the starter is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This same situation happened yesterday and she was able to get it started by pushing the lock and unlock on the key fob several times. It us not a starter issue it is a security issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been online and this seems to be a problem with GM products
That the security system keeps the vehicle from starting. If you don't know anything about the security system then I need to talk to someone else
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hi,different expert here
It is NOT a security issue if the starter does not engage....its a coiencedence with the key fob...trust me i know what i am talking about here.
Take a hammer and have someone smack the side of the starter at the same time you are trying to start it. These starters are famous for getting hot spots and a good whack will make the armeture inside move past the hot spot and it will start unless the hot spot is real severe.
Try that and you will see that i am right :-)
p.s. if it starts, you still need a new starter because it WILL happen again.
any questions just let me know my friend!
If you want, we can talk on the phone.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing on the security that would keep the vehicle from starting

No sir...it only disables the fuel supply system.

Guaranteed

LJ

Did you have any further questions?
If not, please honor your good faith deposit by rating my service from 3-5 stars. I work hard to help people like you and would really appreciate it.
You can still ask questions even after the rating and there is NOT any further charges!!
LJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it towed to a shop late yesterday. So we will see what the shop says this morning. I did have the tow truck driver bang on the starter but it still didn't start

Thank you for responding!

I feel real confident that that is why it wont crank. But without seeing it myself all i can do is tell you the most common reason for this issue. I hope you can appreciate that because its hard as hell to nail it 100% without being there. Kinda like calling the doctor and saying my back hurts. He can give you possible reasons but would need to examine you to be sure...very same thing with car diagnoses :-)

Best wishes my friend!

LJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree. I am in Texas and the truck is in Colorado so I can understand your comment. I hope it is the starter that would be a quick and easy fix to get them on their way back to Texas
Me too!
Please keep me informed my friend!
LJ
p.s. I live in Denver :-)