Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have an 03 chevy silverado 1500 with a 5.3. A few months

Customer Question

Hello, I have an 03 chevy silverado 1500 with a 5.3. A few months ago I had a problem with it starting, it started no problem with the automatic start and when I put the key in and started driving the lights were flashing almost as if I used the wrong key. I went to chevy and got a new key made up and I havnt had a problem since. Two weeks ago I swapped the motor and starter and I had the same problem again and the parking lamp fuse ticks. Sometimes when I start it the dash cluster wont work but when I pull the negative terminal and put it back on it works. Also I have two codes up saying that the knock sensors aint getting enough voltage. I have checked all the fuses and im getting 12v from my battery, do you know what could be causing this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

was the horn beeping when the dash lights where flashing ?

is there a small red LED bulb in the dash ?

this has a remote starter in it after market does it also have an after market alarm added to it ?

how long have you owned this truck ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it used on Craigslist a year ago no there is no red led bulb and no the horn was not beeping and I removed the alarm awhile ago I go to work at 3:30am and when you hit the unlock or lock button it would make beeping noises so I took the alarm out to avoid my neighbors hating me haha.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

usually the only thing that will blink just the dash lights is some kind of after market alarm or remote starter

can you get under the drivers side of the dash and completely remove any after market wiring tapped into the stock wiring and repair all cut wires and any wire tapped into back to 100 % stock and see if the dash lights will still do this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what is stock or not anymore the previous owner decided to play electrician and has wires wraped around wires wrapped around melted electrical tape. Why would an aftermarket remote start just now start to cause this though? And it is the dash lights and the front and rear lights that flash when I use the remote start and then pit the key in. What happens is that I will put my key in and when I turn the lock cylinder nothing happens, it doesn't turn over doesn't wind absolutely nothing but it has only happend three times.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

this can be caused by the remote starter as the remote starter is wired into the lighting system to blink the lights and the starting signal part of the system

any time with you have odd issues like this the first thing you have to do is remove all the after market wired in devices as any tests we do can give us false readings with anything after market wired into this truck

if when all that is removed and it still does this then we could have a bad ignition switch causing this issue to possibly the ignition switch wire signal to the starter relay being an issue

but right now with a remote starter wired into this truck that has to be wired into the starting circuit usually under the drivers side steering column into the starter wires off the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could that cause other electrical problems too like my knock sensors and my instrument cluster?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it may correct the cluster issues but as for the knock sensors more than likely not but i would address this electrical problem first and once that is fixed clear the codes and see if they reset if they do let me know the code numbers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me try that
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

you can always get me back through this post anytime for free with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
you can always get me back through this post for free anytime with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer !