Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

05 impala. Driving the other day and the power steering

Customer Question

05 impala. Driving the other day and the power steering stopped working. Checked the reservoir and it was full. Visual inspection of the rack showed a little bit of oil on one of the boots but nothing serious. Lifted the front of the vehicle while running and turned the wheel all the way left then right. When it stopped in one direction the pump felt and sounded like it was under load but did not feel that way in the other direction.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

with no power steering at all 90 % of the time it is the pump that has failed causing this problem

usually if it turns one way hard then the opposite way feels fine there is an issue internally of the power steering rack pressure valve causing this issue and will usually make a pump whining noise

the best action to take is to change the power steering pump and perform a power steering fluid flush to clean out the internals of the power steering rack in case there is any debris inside the rack itself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the power steering pump, which did not correct the problem. As I suspected it was the rack n pinion.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

where you able to flush the system out and it still will not assist ?

like i said before it is very rare for a rack to act up both way it usually will act up one way and not the other

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I flushed the system til all old fluid was evacuated. I've already replaced the rack and it works fine. Like I said it had no power steering in either direction but the pump went under load when turned all the way to the left and did not load up when turned all the way to the right. Im just a shade tree mechanic but the pump provides the pressure and the rack is the piston so if the rack had damaged seals internally wouldn't that cause my issue? Either way its fixed now just thought you should know.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes if the internal seals where damaged yes it would cause this issue but again it is so rare for both directional seals to go at the exact same time most of the time it is the right or the left seals that go causing no assist one way but assist the other way

i am glad it is fixed