Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

1993 Chevrolet Silverado pickup: what causes erratic

Customer Question

1993 Chevrolet Silverado pickup: what causes erratic readings on my gauges? This happens when use the turn signals and when I turn on the air conditioner? Also, the turn signals flash quicker when the lights are on. Thank you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, when I am driving, the speedometer will be totally off to the point where it maxes out. The gauges sometimes bounce up and down similar to the rhythm of the flasher.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

These are very common for the rear tail light assemblies being corroded. I would start here. Remove the tail light assembly and the electrical circuit board is attached to the lens. Once removed take the gaskey off and look for any corrosion. If there is any replacement is the best option. The new ones are a better design.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but I haven't had a chance to work on the truck. I don't have the original tail lights. I had put on LED's. I should have time to get to it tomorrow afternoon.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

OK. Let me know what you find. With The LEDS it really makes me suspect you have a bad tail light causing the issues. Make sure you check your ground connections.