Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My gh beam indicator light stays on and wont pass inspection

Customer Question

my high beam indicator light stays on and wont pass inspection
2001 gmc sonoma
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

will it stay off with the key OFF ?

when you switch from low to high will the headlights change from low to high beam ?

is this a 4 Cylinder or 6 cylinder truck ? 4X4 ?

has anything been done yet to correct this problem or was anything done to the truck to where now you have this problem ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only comes on when the lights are on...It does switch from high to low but indicator light is on either way....4x4 6 cylinder....nothing has been done to it...it has allways done it since I bought the truck a year ago...And now I need to get inspected and it wont pass safety...
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

thank you for that information

if the high beam and low beams lights work just fine and it is just the high beam indicator in the dash staying on high all the time even when switched to low beam the issue is going to be the gauge cluster itself internally failing or the BCM telling the high beam indicator to turn on when it is not in high beam mode

the best action to take is to have the truck plugged into a scan tool and monitor the BCM live data and see if the BCM is showing high beam all the time when low is selected.if the BCM shows high and low when selected the with the scan tool

the odds are the BCM will show high beam and low beam correctly which would narrow this issue down to the dash cluster itself being bad causing this problem which it would need to be sent out for repairs or replaced