Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2009 Chevy Equinox that has begun stammering at

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Chevy Equinox that has begun stammering at around 40 mph, especially when you're accelerating heavily. It hs 90,000 miles on it.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get a Stabiltrak light sometimes as well. Are the two related? Need answer quickly. It's been 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Stammering can mean different things to different people. If you mean a shuddering, at this mph range, that is usually the torque converter. If you mean the engine, this may be a misfire, fuel delivery or throttle body issue.
The more detail you can provide, the better I can answer with specifics. Vague descriptions of symptoms can only lead to vague answers with alot of possible causes
Please note that continued poor accept rate now leads to experts ignoring future questions you may post as they realize that they will not be paid for their time or services. Thank you
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for finally answering.
I have had a check engine light come on twice, and go off within 5 seconds, so I'm guessing it's engine, and not transmission related, but I'm not the expert.
The light goes off almost immediately, but I had it coded without the light being on, and no codes came up.
IS the Stabiltrak light coming on intermittently related?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this be plug/plug wires related? The car has 90,000 miles, and has not had plugs or plug wires replaced. I read a blog somewhere that said these cars have a propensity for arching sparks.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
When the check engine light came on, was it on solid for the time it was on, or was it blinking on and off?
And a transmission concern such as shift solenoid, torque converter clutch solenoid, or even the torque converter can cause the check engine light to come on, so we cant eliminate transmission concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blinking, and not for very long.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, great, that does isolate it to an engine misfire. Only misfires cause the check engine light to blink on and off. Nothing else will. The stabilitrack light can come on intermittently when any fault is detected by the ecm(engine control module) as the ecm disables it while fault is detected.
The 2009 came with 2 different v6 engines. One is the 3.4L engine, which has plug wires and the other is the 3.6L engine which has 6 coils mounted atop the plugs.
If yours is the 3.4L engine, I would start with plugs and wires. And if still misfiring, replace the coil pack.
If yours is the 3.6L engine, replace the 6 coils and the plugs
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?