Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

2008 Chevy Express 1500 van. We were having a problem

Customer Question

2008 Chevy Express 1500 van. We were having a problem starting the van, tapped on the fuel tank and it would start. Mechanic replaced the fuel pump and whatever else comes with it and it still will not start. Doesn't turn over, nothing registers on the gauges. We installed a new battery, no change. They have gone through the fuses and all are good. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

The gauges also don't come to life with the key ON? And it doesn't crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even after replacing the battery, doesn't crank. Only has 55,000 miles on it. Used as a shop truck.

OK. Use a test light attached to ground. With the key ON, just touch the tops of all the fuses in the underhood fuse block and see if they all light the test light up. If not, make a note of which ones don't, and let me know what they are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give this to the mechanic and see if he has tried this. Might be a while before I get back to you.

Alright, understood. My thinking here is that the ignition switch may have failed, which is common, and it would cut power to whole branches of circuits, at least potentially. Testing with a test light can pinpoint this pretty quickly. If that's not the problem, we can move forward from there, but I'd start here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have used a test light as you suggested. No problems there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What was confusing was the first time that it wouldn't start we pounded on the fuel tank and it started. Replaced the battery and then it actually died while driving on the interstate. Pounded on the fuel tank and it started again. Took it to a mechanic who replaced the fuel pump. Then it wouldn't start for them. Replaced that fuel pump with another and it still wouldn't start. They found a ground wire that was frayed, replaced that but didn't help. Still looking at electrical system. I misspoke, it only has 35,000 on it. My Avalanche has 55,000

I am assuming that it's unrelated to the fuel pump, we just have to treat those two things separately. Treat is as a no crank no start, and just diagnose it from the top. That's what I would do, and that's what they/you should do, to avoid confusion trying to link the two issues together. They may or may not be related, but it's easier to diagnose if you just separate that out.

So, it has all the electrical power it requires? Gauges are dead? There is also a fuse block below the driver's seat, they should do the same test there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let them know but I stopped by there and they are going through the van top to bottom. 2 guys under the hood.

I feel their pain, having been down a road like this myself a time or two. It can be very frustrating, so you simply have to back up, regroup, and attack it as a whole new symptom.