GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2007 Tahoe and both tail lights are out. The brake

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Tahoe and both tail lights are out. The brake lights and turn signals work. What is the fuse called for tail lights called? Also, my check engine light is on and Auto zone said that it was the gas cap. Whenever I get gas now, a little or fill up, the engine stays on cranking. I turn the key back to off and pump the gas and will start the next time. Do i need a new gas cap?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am CAm. Can I get your first name please?

I think you have a different issue with your check engine light, not the cap but I Would be thinking possibly the purge valve not sealing, then the fuel vapours are pushing into the intake when they are not supposed to causing a flooded condition. The cranking afterwards is a normal function that you normally don't notice because it starts. As for the park lights, do the licence plate lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebecca, I'm not sure if the license lights work; my husband has the vehicle right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He replaced the bulbs, but the tail lights still don't work.

Rebecca, there is not an individual fuse for both rear, rather each side has a fuse. So to proceed I need to know if the front park lights work..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the purge valve something he could replace himself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the front park lights work

Yes, its on the engine and rather simple to replace.

Ok, what is your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GNFC13097R386711

OK, so there is likely a wiring issue to each rear tail light assembly. Are you able to test the wiring., a brown wire as it runs back from each light to a connector on the frame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can have my husband do that tonight. Can I follow up tomorrow? If it's the wiring issue, is this something that a mechanic would most likely have to fix then?

You may be able to fix it with crimp connectors, I would look first. Yes we can continue later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi There! Autozone was out of the purge valve, so will receive in the mail tomorrow to replace. The license plate lights do not work. How exactly do you test the wire? He took it off, but wasn't sure what to do from there.

TO test the wire you use a circuit tester, like a test light. Attach one end to a good ground, turn the lights on, then find the connector above the end of the frame for each tail light, take the connector apart and use the other end of the tester on the pin corresponding to the brown wire. I it lights up then the wiring is the issue between the light and the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, we will check it out. Thanks.

Perfect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We replaced the purge valve and the check engine light didn't go off. I haven't gotten gas yet again, so I won't know if that's the problem yet. He didn't get to test the brown wire, but the license plate light doesn't work either. The brake lights do, not the tail lights and license plate light.

The light would need to be cleared before testing. AS for the brown, do the front park lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
front work

Do you have a Vin handy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GNFC13097R386711

OK, you will need to start tracing the wiring from the back to the front, namely around the side of the transfer case and see if you can find a short in the wiring or breaks. As I mentioned, and the Vin confirmed it, there are only 2 fuses, left and right and with your statement that the front park lights work, that means it should not be a fuse.