Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

I have replaced the brake light switch on my 1994 Chevy

Customer Question

I have replaced the brake light switch on my 1994 Chevy silverado 2500 following the instructions in my Haynes manual. The switch slips on the push rod and will not engage the relay. I can activate the switch manually and all lights work. What is the trick to installing this switch? I have tried two different switches from different jobber switches and both do the same thing. Neither is OEM. The clip engages the retaining rod. The spring inside the switch seems too stiff. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suspect the retaining clip is wrong, stretched, or possibly I am missing a bushing, although I assembled exactly as it was removed.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more.the rod from the power booster can be adjusted. Twist it clockwise I believe to extend it or counter clockwise to retract it. Or vice versa I forget , but a 180 degree twist is usually all it takes. Give it a shot and let me know if we are on the same page. Hope this information helps. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should the rod be shortened or lengthened between the pedal and the booster based on the symptoms?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to wrap my head around it and I have done it myself , I think extended. I know they say we're experts lol but it's been awhile since I have done one myself. And I help clients with this all the time and they never tell me which way they needed to adjust it. I'm pretty sure extended.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Did you request a phone call ? I did not get a link to it. Did you attempt to try messing with the rod?