Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have 2013 Chevy Malibu we change the front right wheel

Customer Question

Hi I have 2013 Chevy Malibu we change the front right wheel bearing but now the ABS light and Service Brake Assist also Service StabiliTrak what do i need or did the O Reilly 513288 they say its for Abs applications I have Code C0040 is there something i need to reset?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

was that code there before it was changed ?

why was the bearing changed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes the car had a slight accident causing the 2 right wheel bearings to fail no play just a lot of whine
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

there is nothing to reset for the ABS

if it was not setting this code before but now it is there is a connection problem with the abs sensor or a bad sensor

this sensor connects right into the side of the new hub / wheel bearing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the tip of this sensor sticks through the housing right behind the Wheel Bearing
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you pull out the sensor and look into where the sensor goes into when turning the wheel by hand do you see a tooth ring moving ?

it would be the trigger wheel for the sensor ?

we need to be sure there is a trigger wheel to work the sensor next

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see it I thought it was built in the wheel bearing? but this sensor comes in between the bearing and the CV shaft
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you look at the old bearing and see if the sensor goes into the bearing at all on the old one ?

from what i am showing the trigger wheel is in the hub/bearing assembly as it is not on the axle shaft and the only other thing turning would be the inside of the bearing to trigger the sensor

if you put the old bearing back in will this code go away ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thanks I thought I trying that ,
Also I did not remove the sensor before I took the bearing off maybe I damaged the tip I will compare the 2 sensors
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok see exactly what triggers that sensor