Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevy cavalier timing chain question....

Customer Question

chevy cavalier timing chain question....
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. What is the question? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan i have a chatter in my 2002 cavalier engine, i have spoken with friends and people somewhat in the know and all have said timing chain, this car has high mileage but runs well, the chatter is in the left top of the engine it sounds like, i took the car to a mechanic who took the cover off and said the timing chain looked and felt as tight as a new one and he didnt think this was the issue, what is your thoughts

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
There really isn't much else it can be other then timing chain related and timing chain is common to cause noise on this vehicle when it starts to fail. IF vehicle runs good that eliminates valve as problem and the area noise is coming from fits with timing chain. Remove the serpentine belt to see if that stops noise if not then replace the chain and I recommend replacing the guides and tensioner all at the same time. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thank.s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can chain be tight and still chatter?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Not usually but chain is probably loosening while engine is running and you cannot tell by checking tension with engine off. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so you would rule out pulleys ie idler pulley etc correct?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If there is noise with belt removed that would eliminate pulleys and idler as problem. Let me know how it goes, thanks.