Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2008 chevy trailblazer. Works fine in 2wd but AWD

Customer Question

I have a 2008 chevy trailblazer. Works fine in 2wd but AWD or 4lo/hi does not. Makes alound grinding noise when selector switch is in these positions.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

where do you hear the loud noise from when it acts up ?

will the light show 4HI has been chosen but just makes noise ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like it is coming from transfer case or axle area.
In Awd it tries to switch over on its own and the 4lo lights flashes. If i select 4lo/hi, it works 50% of the time but only if I put it in reverse and back up a couple feet, then go forward. The other 50% it just will not move..
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

has the fluid been drained out of the transfer case yet to see if the fluid has metal flake in it yet ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Only thing that has been performed is the selector switch was replaced which actually got 2wd function working.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

at this point the next step is to drain the transfer case fluid and see if there is any metal at all in the fluid

from the sounds of this there is an internal transfer case failure happening especially if it will not even move the truck at times

but have the fluid drained first and if there is any metal in the fluid the case will have to be replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It may be a couple of weeks before i can do this. Thanks again for the input and time.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !