GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 58 belair with a 283 had it switched from points to

Customer Question

Hello Joe my name is***** have a 58 belair with a 283 had it switched from points to HEI and dropped the generator for an Alt. Had an uncle do some welding on body with patch panels. Went to pick it up and it would crank but won't turn over then after about 10 seconds of cranking noticed white smoke from the engine bay and found my wire from the ignition to the starter had melted. Any ideas what went wrong, and how about I fix said problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** i will assist

it sounds like the shop that did the welding did not remove the battery cables and when they welded, it fried the electrical system. it sends a high voltage up the ground side and causes all kinds of electrical problems.

you need to check all wiring from the battery cables to the firewall. I would start to assess the damage first before figuring out what needs to be replaced.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick reply is there somewhere you would start or look at first?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

yes, the main battery cables from the battery. starter motor, alternator and all over under the hood.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out