Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1994 Chevy 2500 6.5L diesel TDC offset issue.

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

"TDC offset issue"please explain

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we got truck the injection pump was bad so we replaced it. Eng will run but not very smooth. Code 88 will not clear no matter what we have tried. Cannot set TDC offset. Suggestions?

so,,you want to time the injection pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to clear the code 88 and set TDC offset. Using a Snap on scanner. Pump is in time. Need to set offset.

TDC OFFSET ERROR ^ This DTC indicates there is a pump timing problem. ^ This DTC will set if TDC offset is greater than ±2.0°, or the PCM has lost memory (TDC offset is stored in PCM memory). ^ Check injection pump timing. When all diagnosis and repairs are completed, clear DTC(s) and verify proper operation.

i will give you the injection pump timing,,the pump is out of time,,this is why you get the code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go. Can I pick this up with you tomorrow?

i will give you a link on how to time it

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9hhvpjftpcl0f0/0811-chevy-desiel-88.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/y9hhvpjftpcl0f0/0811-chevy-desiel-88.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you available this am?

hi

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some back ground. Pump is in time. We went so far as to pull front cover and check all gears. Key way not sheared off. All gears in time. Pump in time. Cannot get code 88 to clear. Is a Tech 1 or 2 the only scanner that will do this?

you can clear the obd1 just by removing the negative battery cable for about ten seconds

if the code comes back,,there is something wrong

the 88 code tells me it is out of time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No matter what we do the code 88 persist. Even if pump was out of time, would the code reappear as soon as batteries are hooked back up or code cleared with our scanner without trying to start the engine?

i wouldnt think it would just come back by installing the cable without starting..

lets try this,,remove both battery cables from the battery,touch and hold the - and the + together for 5 seconds,,then re-install them back to the battery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried suggestion. Code still present as before.

sorry for the delays,,having some computer trouble

so,,you are saying the 88 will come back just by installing the battery cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No matter what we have tried.

ok,,

i would think you need to check the wire harness for damage,,or, maybe the ecm[computer] itself is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have gone through wiring and repaired a few spots we found that were bad. Have not pulled ecm to have checked. Is there anyway we can check it?

i dont know of a good way to test the ecm at home..not many people can test these

these older ecms arent expencive now,,most times aroud $100+/- at your local parts store

make sure about the wire harness before you buy an ecm.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that the code should not reappear until you have tried to start the eng?

right,,unless the wire harness is shorted somewhere

or,the ecm itself is bad