GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2002 Chev 2500 with a duramax that has 380,000

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chev 2500 with a duramax that has 380,000 miles on it. It has been starting and running fine until Saturday last. I started it, put it in gear and moved about 20 feet and it died and hasn't started since. The fuel gauge is on empty. I put fuel in it the day before and drove several miles that day and about 5 miles before it did this. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please? how much fuel did you put in the other day?

Currently if you pump the plunger on the fuel filter, does it get stiff or leak fuel anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** put in about 15 gallons. Plunger gets stiff and there are no leaks.

Noel., good afternoon. IS there any chance you put gas in by mistake? IF no, can you try starting with someone pumping that plunger and see if that helps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is always that possibility. Don't think I did. I don't think it would have ran as far as it did with gasoline in it. I'm by myself at this time. I can't understand why my fuel gauge is on empty. Is there a sensor?

IT could be the fuel level sensor, yes. They are common for reading incorrectly in these. For now, even open the bleeder on top, pump a bit and see what fuel comes out. IF gas, drain your tank and lines/filter, fill with diesel and see. If its diesel, then do this test.

These use hydraulic pressure from the fuel system to operate the injector. SO a small amount of fuel is supposed to bypass to open the main part of the injector to make it operate. When these start to fail, this causes to much fuel to bypass and return to the tank. This resulting fuel loss will lower the fuel rail pressure and at a time when the pressure is needed most, during cranking, it takes longer to build the required 1450 psi to operate the injector. SO the test we do is this. Find the 2 fuel lines on the rear drivers side valve cover. Take the smaller one off and attach your hose to the metal pipe coming from the engine. Put the other end into the container and run the engine to fill that line. Then shut it off and remove the IGN 1 relay from beside the starter relay. If the engine will not start at that time, crank it to fill the line, then empty out the container and keep the line full. Crank the engine for 15 seconds fully and measure the amount of fuel that comes out of that line. More than 24cc means the injectors have failed and they need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let me try all that. I've been told that my injectors are probably weak as I get a lot of black smoke when pulling a load. It's hard for me to understand them just quitting like that. I have some type fluid leak on from of engine. Haven't checked that yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's front of engine

That could be fuel related. Check to see if your oil is overfull. IF so, let me know and I can explain more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks a lot for your help.
May be back in touch as tests are done

Sounds good.

Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.