Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

S10 has no power, mechanic says battery and alternator test

Customer Question

S10 has no power, mechanic says battery and alternator test good
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you tell me the year ? engine size ?

will the horn work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1997; 4.3L V6; Horn doesn't work, lights don't work, door locks don't work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

do you have a multi meter on hand

are you 100 % sure both battery cables are clean and tight and the battery's vols and amps are good and the battery has NO bad cells in it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanic doesn't know what is wrong but he said he cleaned and tightened the cables (this is the second time I have had to have it towed in, that was his fix last time. I drove it home, went to take it back out and it had no power again, like 30 minutes later). He said the battery tested good, not sure if that will tell about cells in the battery being bad.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you remove and clean and retighten the battery cables will anything electrical come back on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not done that but that is what the Mechanic did last time and it worked, but only temporarily
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if it will work for a little bit and then goes dead the issue would have to be bad connections at the battery or the battery cables ends are bad them selves

have the battery tested again if its good have both battery cables replaced

that should correct this issue if that is all that is done and then it works again for a little while it really should not be anything more than that causing this issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is still at the mechanic and they say the cables are good, I don't know how those are tested. He is still looking at it but said I may have to take it to a special generator shop. I guess if there isn't anything else you can tell that could be wrong then we are done. Thank you.