Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Geo storm, ignition keys destroyed, how do I change the

Customer Question

geo storm, ignition keys destroyed, how do I change the cylinder?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

sense you dont have a key,you will need to break or drill out the lock pin that holds the lock cylinder in..i always drill with maybe a 3/8" drill bit through where the key gos in to where it will go into the lock pin,,this way it will pull right out.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/srwogp90c1md3ww/0810-geo-Lock%20cylender.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/srwogp90c1md3ww/0810-geo-Lock%20cylender.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

link works, doesn't tell me much of what I need to know

first of all, how to deactivate srs, next if I drill out the cylinder, do I have to replace it? It would be nice to have a no key ignition

yes,,you will need to replace it either way..

the new lock comes with keys

no need to worry with the old one sense you will be replacing it,,you will need to drill it or break the pin to get the lock cylender out

disarm srs.. 1. Turn ignition switch to Off position, then remove METER fuse (C-22) and SIR fuse (C-23). 2. Remove lower bolster panel. 3. Remove connector position assurance (CPA) lock and disconnect orange 3-way connector at the base of the steering column.

arm..sir. 1. Connect 3-way orange connector and install CPA lock. 2. Install lower bolster panel. 3. Install METER fuse and SIR fuse. 4. Turn ignition switch to Run position and ensure ``Inflatable Restraint'' lamp flashes 7 times and then remains off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no good, I give up, srs will deploy, hopefully safely, once drilled out, how do I get the ignition switch to turn without the key?

you really dont need to turn it,,when you drill at the locking pin,the space of the drill bit will give the pin room to release the lock cylinder and the complete cylinder will pull right out,,then just snap the new cylinder into place,,it will be like new,,with keys..

your only other option is to have a locksmith to make a new key for that cylinder,,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I DONT WANT A KEY! 2 problems, 1)needing to keep track of key and 2)not matching the door anyway

how do I get the car to start without a key? does it actually need a new cylinder? or when I drill out the cylinder, will it automatically turn over? if I don't drill strait, will it get damaged?

ok

you need to remove the steering wheel so you can see the lock pin that holds the lock cylinder in,,you will either need to break the pin somehow or drill through the key lock toward the lock pin..the little lock pin is the only thing that holds the cylinder in,with the pin broken or drilled..the old ignition lock cylinder will come out,,then you can start with a screw driver or anything...or you can pop in a new key lock..

either way,that old lock cylender will need to come out

thanks